WATERMELONS

I LOVE WATERMELON 

Sweet ~ Luscious ~ Refreshing
Vitamin C in a red and green container
 A Messy and Delightful Taste of Summer
Summers from long ago... 

Growing up, my Daddy always grew watermelons.
He always entered one or two of his 'best' looking watermelons at the Putnam County Fair ~ usually winning the first-place prize. I specifically remember one year when the wire fencing that protected all of the entries was cut, and his prize-winning melon was stolen. That particular watermelon weighed around 70 pounds! 

Daddy usually had a couple of watermelon patches on the farm. There was a creek that flowed in front of our house, and part of the land was across the road.  He thought it would be a good idea to have a watermelon patch close to the creek and across the road.  Well, that proved to be a 'not-so-good' idea for him, but a 'really-good-idea' for nighttime visitors to the patch.  As soon as a melon was ripe and ready to eat, it was stolen.  As best I can remember, I don't think he ever planted in that spot again - possibly potatoes!

Haywood Allison and Granddaughter Elizabeth Ann Burgess Centers

This picture (not too clear) is a favorite.
Elizabeth spending a summer day with her Pa
She, too, loved watermelons ~ especially his.

Now that I am a Grandmother (Ghana & Nah-Na), I so 
appreciate the love that my parents had for my daughter.  

Precious times ~ a tear is present.

Wish it was Summer

WISH
I
WAS
EATING 
ONE 
OF 
MY DADDY'S WATERMELONS!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BORN IN CHICKACOEN

NINE SONS: The Tolar Brothers & The Civil War

THE ALLISON’S HOME CHURCH - LITTLE RIVER PRESBYTERIAN, ORANGE COUNTY, NC