Joseph Allison ~ Creek ~ Lick ~ Noses ~ Stories

JOSEPH ALLISON
'MINE LICK JOE'
(My 3rd Great Grandfather)

Mine Lick Joe was born on December 1, 1799, in Hillsborough, North Carolina.  He married Asenath (Cynthia) Stone and they had 16 children together between 1822 and 1868. He then married Elvina Eldridge and they had two children together between 1868 and 1870. He died on December 3, 1886, in Putnam, Tennessee, having lived a long life of 87 years, and was buried in Baxter, Tennessee.


Joseph "Mine Lick" Allison was a household name in his time. 
He knew much about herbs and home remedy medicines. He was the son of John Allison Jr. & Sarah Toler.  He is buried in Joe Bob Allison Cemetery, on Lilly's Chapel Road in Putnam County, Tennessee. 



In Touring the Middle Tennessee Backroads (1995) by Robert S. Brandt states:  
"Return to TN 56 and retrace your route toward the Interstate 40 junction.  
Just short of the interstate, turn right on the Buffalo Valley Road, marked Putnam County 15. It is 7.5 miles to the town of Baxter; where the road crosses Interstate 40 at another exit.  
It becomes Old Baxter Road. Mine Lick was what the area was called at first.  
John Allison came from North Caroline in 1807 to claim his Revolutionary War Grant, and with him his son, Joseph, nicknamed "Mine Lick." "Uncle Mine Lick," as he was called in later years, was a noted storyteller. His identity became inseparable from the community's.


In another book, HISTORY OF PUTNAM COUNTY, TN, by McClain, pgs 10 & 11, he records as follows:
"JOHN ALLISON, Rev.soldier, came from Boonesborough, Orange Co., NC in 1807 and settled six miles south of Baxter when his son, JOSEPH (Mine Lick) was 6 years old. When this son reached his majority the father gave him a little flea bitten gray pony. With this as his only start he entered land, cleared a field and built a cabin. The pony was hitched under a tree that winter. "Uncle Mine Lick", as he was familiarly known to the people, had a fund of information gained largely by contact with Nature, and many of his origins and eccentric sayings and doings are current legend for miles around his old home."



My dream find would be to acquire this man's picture image.
It's possible, but not probable.  
(Dry plates 1835, Gelatin dry plates 1871, Photographic film by 
George Eastman 1855, 1888 First Camera)


I SEE THE ALLISON NOSE in the photo below...
more about the 'nose' thing in a later post
The is the Theodore Cassidy Allison family (1875-1945)
Theodore was my 1st Cousin 2X Removed.
His father was Reuben C Allison who was a brother to Cart Allison (my Great Grandfather).
Might he have looked like Mine Lick Joe?

I realize that a photo is not necessary for any research, etc…
However, if I am satisfied that the photo is true/real  - 
the family members in the picture become 'alive' - I see my family.
I see stories in the faces - I see where I came from.

A great stash of photos, stories, (like the one above) etc…(just found) from the 'Toler/Tolar/Tolor' Family may shed light on my Allison lineage (even though I know who I am and where I come from---hee-hee).  Sarah Toler (my 4th Great Grandmother) was born on May 6, 1768, in Orange County, North Carolina.  She married John Allison JR (my 4th Great Grandfather - Revolutionary War Patriot) on April 13, 1789, in Orange, North Carolina.  They had 15 children in 23 years - MERCY!
Sarah died in 1855 in White County, Tennessee, having lived 86 years.

John Allison JR (1762 - 1842) married Sarah Tolar
is your 4th great grandfather
son of John Allison JR
son of Joseph "Mine Lick Joe" Allison
son of William Herbert Allison
son of William Carter Allison
son of William Luther Allison
You are the daughter of Ernest Haywood Allison


a 'tidbit' more about ...
MINE LICK CREEK
Information provided by Smithville Review from the special supplement "Communities of DeKalb County", July 2010.

The mouth of Mine Lick Creek, near the community of the same name, appeared to have been a favorite area among Native Americans or the cultures known as the Mound Builders. An excavation performed there indicated continuous habitation for more than 1500 years. As for more recent history, we know the Herrin family was among the first settlers. David Herrin, Sr. lived in the area as early as 1811. One year later, Henry Burton called Mine Lick home along with the Jefferson Dyer family. A school was built, named Herrin School (aka Sweet Betsy). The school at the lower end of Mine Lick was the Bridge School. The teacher there in 1940 was Mrs. Vinnie Murdock. One attraction to Mine Lick was a saltpeter cave, which is a main ingridient in gunpowder. In 1821, Richard Herrin (relative on my Mom's side of the family) purchased land near Mine Lick at the mouth of the cave. By 1850, John Barr had also bought land in the area and pursued the occupation.


Mine Lick had a Primitive Baptist Church with only 16 members in 1853. Henry Burton was the pastor, and died in 1853. The church is believed to have dwindled away after Burton's passing.

Lick
n ” Lick” is a place where salt is found on the surface of the earth, to which wild animals resort to lick it up; — often, but not always, near salt springs.


MINE LICK JOE - STORYTELLER…as was my Daddy!
His stories (most of which were true, as I have come to realize) entertained me as I grew up.  
I am a bit jealous.  Let me explain.  My daughter became the real 'listener' to his stories and poems.  I also realize that he enjoyed entertaining her much more than he did me.  I understand, though.  She was his 'granddaughter' - that makes a huge difference!  Elizabeth, my daughter, recorded her Pa Haywood on cassette tape (yep cassette) recordings.  TREASURE...
Definition of treasure(s), as far as I'm concerned, "a silly old assignment that a silly old teacher made in silly old junior high school in silly old Cookeville, Tennessee in silly old….you get the picture."  
That one silly old assignment which was assigned to my daughter by an amazing teacher, has become a treasure to our family.  Thank you, silly old teacher.  
(My Daddy gets his own post - work in progress)

I MUST STOP…have you ever heard the saying "one thing leads to another"...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BORN IN CHICKACOEN

NINE SONS: The Tolar Brothers & The Civil War

THE ALLISON’S HOME CHURCH - LITTLE RIVER PRESBYTERIAN, ORANGE COUNTY, NC