"I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK"

Appearing all over the world, in many languages is 

the famous epitaph "I told you I was sick."

One has to smile (maybe laugh) at that one.

(I've heard many 'living' souls speak those words.)

Now, one may think I'm a bit crazy - 'good crazy' I hope -
but I see old grave markers as beautiful.  
May I share just a few with you?   

These grave markers are quite old - some are hard to read.
However, they speak loud and clear.
I see them as beautiful.  
Simple. 


Joseph "Mine Lick Joe" Allison
(My 3rd Great Grandfather)
1799-1886


Fatima Allison (daughter of above "Mine Lick Joe"
(My second great grand aunt)
1836-1840


 Ammon Asbury Martin
(Second Great Grandfather)
(1837-1913)


N. (Nancy?) Myatt (Nancy Cardwell Myatt?)
Born Feb. 24?, 1825?…
Lineage work in progress?  Grimes Cemetery, Putnam County, TN

Jean Gracey Knox
Born 1708 in Londonderry, Ireland
Died in 1772 - Buried in St. Luck Parish, Rowan. North Carolina



 Patrick Gracy (Fifth Great Grandfather)
Born January 3, 1700 in Londonderry, Ireland
Buried in the Mount Mourn Cemetery in North Carolina


My Mama and Daddy's Tombstone 
The epitaph was chosen by Mama…
"God Gives Life To Man.  Death Is Part of Life."
I miss them.  But, they are with me.



As long as people could write, they have been memorializing the dead with epitaphs ---some short texts, verses, quotations.  They sometimes reflect the person's beliefs, accomplishments or individual spirt.  
I often wonder if the messages added to a grave marker 
are more for the visitors than the departed?


*********************
Ever seen "See Ya on a Horse?" as an epitaph?
I have a friend (Mike Evans)…I think this one would be perfect for him!

***********************

One of the most famous epitaphs is that of Mel Blanc, 
famous as the voice of thousands of characters, including Porky Pig, 
who said, as does Mr. Blanc's stone, "That's all Folks."

Somehow, that just says it all…don't you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BORN IN CHICKACOEN

NINE SONS: The Tolar Brothers & The Civil War

THE ALLISON’S HOME CHURCH - LITTLE RIVER PRESBYTERIAN, ORANGE COUNTY, NC