MEN AT THE FRONT OF THE FOOD LINE: Gathering of Kin

Sunday Dinner At Papa and Mama Ashburn's House

Sunday Dinner was today's 'lunch' time, and the evening meal was Supper - not Dinner.

1955
(I'm fairly positive this was around 1955 - Don looks to be around one - and he is a year older than me.  So I wasn't at this particular event, but I was soon after!)

Esker and Fannie Ashburn
Maternal Grandparents

Papa is on the left and Mama Ashburn is close behind him 
with glasses (holding my first cousin Don).

PRICELESS
(My Official Name For This Photo)

Sunday afternoons were usually spent at the home of my Maternal Grandparents - (Esker and Fannie Herren Ashburn).  They lived off the Cookeville Boat Dock Road in Baxter, Tennessee - on the Austin Bottom Road.
Mercy what fun!  Playing, piling into the backs of trucks to go to the lake, and of course the Southern thing called … EATING!
                                        
Grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins - what a wonderful childhood I had.  I wish I could go back for just one Sunday afternoon…yes, tears.  
I see my Daddy and Mama's precious faces in this photo. 
Oh, the love at that kitchen table! 

My cousin and I were discussing the fact that 
the men in the picture were first in line at 
the food table - first to be served.  
However, I found it interesting that I had never 
really thought about it - it just 'was' that way. 
…and you know…
it worked just fine.


And we know for sure that Southerners know their food! 
Thought this was an interesting quote from 
John Egerton who writes for Southern Food:

“Within the South itself, no other form of cultural expression, not even music,is as distinctly characteristic of the region as the spreading of a feast of native food and drink
 before a gathering of kin and friends.  For as long as there has been a South, and people who think 
of themselves as Southerners, food has been central to the region’s image, its personality, and its character.” 


Things never changed for me as far as my Daddy was concerned.  He always came
first (in any situation), and he knew that he did.  He came first because he
deserved it and I loved making him feel and know that he was my first love.
He always introduced me as 'his baby' - right up until the day he died (so I was his 46-year-old baby).
Still am - but now I'm his 59-year-old baby.

     
                                      

Amazing days of a long ago childhood that will 
never be forgotten and

 Oh, the Southern Table!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BORN IN CHICKACOEN

NINE SONS: The Tolar Brothers & The Civil War

THE ALLISON’S HOME CHURCH - LITTLE RIVER PRESBYTERIAN, ORANGE COUNTY, NC