Patrick Gracey (1700-1810) ~ My Coffee 'Lovin 5th Great Grandfather

Centre Presbyterian Church - 129 Centre Church Road - Mooresville, NC
Patrick Gracey's Grave


Patrick Gracey, my 5th Great Grandfather, was born on January 3, 1700, in Coleraine, Northern Ireland.  His father, John, was 20 and his mother, Jean, was 13. Patrick married Rebecca Barnett in 1731 in Ireland. They had 13 children in 46 years.  He died on January 9, 1810, in Mooresville, North Carolina, at the age of 110, and was buried in Mount Mourne, North Carolina.  

The following information was retrieved from the book The Knox Family published in 1905.   The following sketch of Patrick Gracey, brother-in-law to John Knox, emigrant, was furnished by two of his great-granddaughters, Mrs. I.R. Alexander, of Mooresville, and Mrs. Dr. J.R.B. Adams, of Statesville, N.C.
“Patrick Gracey was born in Ireland, in 1700; emigrated to America, with his sister, Jean and John Knox, in 1740.  It is though her married in this county.  He married a Miss Rebecca Barnett (my 5th Great Grandmother).  It is said that he may have married a second time.  They came over in a sail vessel. The winds being unfavorable, they were three months on the ocean, and ran short of water and provisions.  It is said that Patrick wore a pair of new buckskin pants that were rather tight for him when he left Ireland, but lapped over considerably when they landed in America.  Patrick Gracy reared a large family of children.  Three of the sons' names were William, Robert and Joseph.  Robert lived near Cool Springs.  He was Mrs. Adams' grandfather.  One of the daughters of Patrick Gracy and her babe were scalped by the Indians.  His daughter, Eleanor Gracy, married a Templeton.  Their son, Graecy Templeton, lived to be ninety-four years of age.  Two of the daughters lived in the mountains of North Carolina, near Pleasant Gardens. Patrick Gracey settled near the head waters of Back Creek, in what was then Rowan county (now Iredell).  North Carolina, some three miles northeast of Mooresville.  And ended his days there in 1810, at the extreme age of one hundred and ten years.  Mrs. Alexander says of him, "I remember to hear my father say that Patrick Gracy rode horseback a distance of seven miles, to visit his daughter, my grandmother, just six weeks before he died.  He must have been a remarkable strong man to have made the journey on horseback at such an advanced age.  He was a great lover of coffee, which was considered a luxury in those days.  His daughter would always try to give him coffee when he visited her, and on handing back his cup for a second time he would exclaim, as the cup was being filled nearly full, "That's a vast, that's a vast, Nellie."  He had the Irish brogue, of course.  He was a good man. Bibles were very scarce in those days, so he often would take his Bible and go among his neighbors, reading the Scriptures to them.  He was a member of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, and brought his certificate of membership with him.  When he presented it to the pastor of church at Centr, Dr. McRea, he pronounced it all right.  It is said that when Patrick Gracy was buried they had to take axes and cut out the trees to make a road to the graveyard, there being only paths. The following is the inscription found on his tombstone, in Centre Graveyard, near Mooresville.  "SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF PATRICK GRACY, WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANUARY 9, 1810, AGED 100 YEARS.  'The busy scene of life is closed, The body's laid in calm repose; The happy should has gone to rest, Reclining on its Savior's breast.  An active, useful life is o'er, And sin shall ne'er disturb it more; Where cares no more shall spoil its peace, It shall enjoy eternal rest.  Tis but a few whose days amount To five score years and ten; And all beyond that same account Are sorrow, toil, and pain."



Comments

  1. I found this on google because I just met someone at my DAR meeting who is related to President Polk, and my father-in-law had sent me the information on Patrick Gracey and his sister, so I knew we had something in common and I should do a little research. My husband is also a descendant of Patrick Gracey. His grandmother (a Gracey) is 94 now and her sister is almost 100. Lots of longevity from the Gracey genes! Since Patrick Gracey gave aid to the patriots of the American Revolution, I hope you have joined the DAR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome you posted this! 100 times THANK YOU! I am a DAR member as well, but this person would be on my husband's side if I can prove one Ida or Inez Turbyfill. However, as we all know, the blasted 1890 census is missing, and she died somewhere between 1890 and 1903....can not find her gravesite or death records. I've been all over find a grave, combed through her siblings and known children to see if she was living with them....but she dropped off of radar....will continue my research till I can verify my connection. Again, thank you so much for posting this...I have a copy of Patrick's will as well as a few other sundry items I have gleaned from the web. Interesting note concerning his daughter being scalped. I don't know if you are aware that Poplar Tent Presbyterian Church Cemetery, in Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina has a historical marker stating the following: Cemetery notes and/or description:
    Popular Tent Presbyterian Church cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Cabarrus County. The cemetery dates back to the mid 1800’s with the burial of a woman killed and scalped by Indians. The church would be organized in 1751.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gratitude knows no bounds... I'm so happy to have stumbled upon your blog and sincerely thank you for the information about Patrick. The man, it seems, was my 5th great-grandfather as well, my grandfather being John Winfred Logan, born in Arkansas October 3, 1890 and passing September 30, 1973. My grandpa was more of a father-figure to me, long story, so suffice it to say we were very close and I miss him every day of my life. He was a charmer, loved to tell stories and had the greatest laugh. When I'd ask him about our heritage, he'd just say, "We're Irish" and that was it. Nice to know that we are indeed Irish. My son and granddaughter displaying red hair, it's no doubt we're Irish. Again, thank you so much for this fabulous information about an ancestor I wish I could have known.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    My name is Sarah Jane Rees, I'm from the UK and Patrick Gracey is my 6th great-grandfather!

    My great grandmother was Mary Gracie (the spelling differs throughout the years).
    She was from South Shields UK where there were many others in the family with the Gracie name. I only started this search last night so I'm just beginning :)

    Has anyone managed to find John Gracey (born 1680)who his parents were?

    Exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BORN IN CHICKACOEN

NINE SONS: The Tolar Brothers & The Civil War

THE ALLISON’S HOME CHURCH - LITTLE RIVER PRESBYTERIAN, ORANGE COUNTY, NC