The Beauty of Growing Older - Beyond the Wrinkles


My 69th Birthday is April 6th - quite the privilege. 





For many years I have written something about my approaching birthdays. 

Here I am again - Writing. Thinking. Smiling. 


I love to ‘announce’ my birthday is approaching - my church family has been

 reminded almost every Sunday for the past two months.  I’m blessed with family 

and friends that I love and they love me. Getting older is a good and pleasant 

thing for many reasons. If you know me at all then you know that here 

comes some of those ‘reasons’ and simply some ‘thoughts’ on my life…


First of all - 

  1. Once you are on an airplane, you are there until it lands. Not one thing can you do about that. Get it?
  2. Most of us get shorter as we age; however, my explanations get longer and longer and longer. I just have a lot to say.
  3. We are never to old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis
  4. It may be true that as we age we are gently nudged off the stage (I don’t nudge well), but it is quite comfortable being a spectator. I agree with Confucius on this one.
  5. We don’t have to keep a straight face in public - at least I don’t. Just let it out!
  6. I have never regretted becoming a teacher. Not one time. 
  7. Make-up is optional (well, sometimes it is). 
  8. I fall asleep (if I’m not driving of course) almost the minute I begin riding in the car. That’s a great thing.
  9. Sometimes we may seem a bit manic or fall asleep with our company - again, it’s a good thing because you’re old so the people around you will just figure it’s your meds or aging anyway. 
  10. I can smile at people and they will never know what I’m really thinking. That’s really a good thing. 
  11. I can’t stay up late - nor do I want to. 
  12. The length of my naps is no one’s business.
  13. I think I’m smarter now, but sometimes I can’t remember what I’m supposed to know.
  14. I love it when someone tells me I smell good.
  15. If I believe something, I really, really believe it.
  16. If I like you, I really, really like you. The opposite might also be true.
  17. My dream of a second career as a homicide detective has been put on hold.
  18. Aging is a totally wonderful excuse of … well, lots of things.
  19. I believe that wearing one’s pajamas all day is acceptable and practical.
  20. No one gives me a strange look anymore when I tell them that I study dead people. 
  21. I will bite anyone that hurts someone that I love.

So far, regret has not taken the place of dreams in my life.


Birthdays are simply wonderful - quite the blessing if you ask me…and I haven’t bitten many as of lately! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BORN IN CHICKACOEN

NINE SONS: The Tolar Brothers & The Civil War

THE ALLISON’S HOME CHURCH - LITTLE RIVER PRESBYTERIAN, ORANGE COUNTY, NC