MILLS & MILLERS: MYATT & HAMILTON

HISTORIC MILLS

NORTH CAROLINA - MYATT'S MILL

PENNSYLVANIA - HANCE HAMILTON'S MILL




Not long ago, I found a favorite place - a mill built by my

5th Great Grandfather John Myatt, Sr. 

Myatt's Mill is in Willow Springs, North Carolina. This beautiful site is

ever-so-peaceful; I know that I am connected to this place. The current 

owner - Scott Champion - is the kindest young man with a heart of gold. 

He is captivating as he shares his knowledge of the mill and it's rich history.



Tons of information can he found on the personal blog below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------


"The miller was America’s first industrial inventor. He was 
builder, banker, businessman and host to the countryside. 
When highways were no wider than today’s bridle paths, 
the first good roads were built to the mills. Where there 
was a mill site, there was a nucleus for a town." 
Eric Sloan - The Mills of Early America

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I began a new lane of family history this week, another mill
appeared 
in my research. The Hance Hamilton Mill is located 
in Adams County, Pennsylvania. Hance Hamilton is my 
6th Great Uncle. 
My research must continue on this site. 


"Mills evoke a sense of tradition and security, a closeness to 
the land, and the power of nature. They also represent a sense 
of stability and freedom, because only in America the average 
personcould build their own mill. They served the community 
with the people who built them."















Comments

  1. Hello. My name is William Allison. My line goes back to William Allison and Grizzell Wray. I recently ran across this blog and I have some questions I'd like to ask you. Would email or text be appropriate? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BORN IN CHICKACOEN

NINE SONS: The Tolar Brothers & The Civil War

THE ALLISON’S HOME CHURCH - LITTLE RIVER PRESBYTERIAN, ORANGE COUNTY, NC