WILLIAM ROBINSON
My Second Great Grand Uncle


Birth: August 4, 1810 in White County, TN
Death: January 9, 1855 in DeKalb County, TN


A CALL TO ACTION
On Wednesday, October 22, 2014, I woke up thinking that the beautiful, sunny day
 in front of me would be just perfect for a trek to the wooded area at the top of the Cookeville Boat Dock Hill.  I knew that I had relatives buried there, but had never 
'been in' the woods to see the area for myself.  I knew that William Robinson 
(my second great grand uncle - brother to my second great grandmother 
Elizabeth Robinson Gracy) was buried there.

The stories of this area (family, land, burials etc…) have always been intriguing and of interest to me, but I have waited almost too long (explained later)  - which makes me sad to the bone.  Robinson Hill Cemetery is located off the Cookeville Boat Dock Road at the top of the Cookeville Boat Dock hill in DeKalb County, Tennessee.  I did not know exactly 'where' to go into the wooded area at, but fear of the 
unknown is exactly what I hunger for. 

Did I prepare myself with the proper clothing, shoes, etc…of course not!
Oh, well - just some scratches on my legs and 'itching' all over my body.
I did have an old broom in my car trunk (why it was there I do not know), and 
was able to use it to break, prod, and poke things that were in my way.  

My cousin, Jan Allison (my rock) from Chattanooga, and I had been down to this area about six months ago.  We were both tired from a busy day of dilly-dallying-around, and decided that we would not search in the area that day.  What we did notice, that caused us great concern, was the destruction of the area (I would call it destruction - my personal opinion) - huge old trees cut down, land cleared, and a new tower of some sort (not exactly sure who 'owns' the tower).  Perhaps all of this is on private property.  I really don't care who owns what.  However, I do care about this grave, and someone is getting pretty 'dog-gone close' to this cemetery.



INTO THE WOODS
 From the moment that I started walking into the woods, I felt Jan with me.  She and I are a team.  Always have been.  We love history.  We love where we came from.  But, on this particular day, I am alone.  The path (it really couldn't be called a path) was laden with trash (paper, bottles,etc.) It appears that this area might be a 'resting' place for various not-yet-deceased individuals or groups.  I stopped about every 5 feet trying to 'spot' something that looked like a grave.  After about 45 minutes, I saw the wooden fence pictured below.  This was 'NOT' the view that I first saw, but the view as I was leaving.  I did not follow the path that I walked in on, but went straight toward the highway (Cookeville Boat Dock Road).  William's grave is only about 100 feet off the road.  I know exactly where to enter from the road so that what is seen in the photo below is what I will see when I walk straight from the road.

Someone has kindly built a 3-sided wooden fence to protect what is left of 
William Robinson's grave.  The excitement and love that I felt when I saw this 
grave is beyond any words that I could come up with.  


Below are some other photos that I took the same day. 
Both are shots that have visible engravings which say…

William Robinson 
was born August 1810
 and died in January 1855
(the engraving is to the left of the 'huge' hole in the top photo
and to the right of the small hole in the bottom photo)




Below are some photos proving the engraving 
and the burial site of William Robinson.







I found information on Find A Grave that 
Dean Sliger had provided/updated on 2.13.12

"This is a very old cemetery off 
the Cookeville Boat Dock Road 
at the top of the Cookeville Boat Dock hill. 
The cemetery is perhaps 100 feet off the road in the woods just as you enter the state park. 
When I first visited this cemetery around 1980 there were 20 or more discernable grave sites in at least five rows. Only one stone survived, that of William Robinson (1810-1855). The other graves are now (2012) completely obscured by the passage of time and a wooden fence has been built around William Robinson's grave." Dean Sliger 2.13.12


The fact that 20 or more graves in at least 5 rows have disappeared since 1980 is so sad.  I am so ashamed of myself 
for not 'getting something done' with this family cemetery many years ago.  I feel certain that other family members/relatives must feel the same way.  How horrific 
that we have just sat back and done absolutely nothing to preserve this - our heritage…Robinson Hill Cemetery.


Below is a photo of Dean Sliger (a relative) visiting the grave in 1985.
The fence was built around the grave 'after' 1985.



BEFORE I LEFT THE WOODS

Those of you who know me personally, know that some 'interesting' or 'out-of-the-ordinary' happenings sometimes occur - today was no different.  Before I left, I wanted to take one more photo. 
I took the photo, and then stepped back from the grave for one last look.  A walnut 'decided' to fall from it's branch and 'decided' to hit ME on the head.  Not on the top of my head, but between my left ear and the top of that side of my head.
Now, I am not a whiner, but it hurt… for two days… it hurt.

  
Williams's PARENTS
John William Robinson 1783-1869 
& Susan Childress 1791-1869


SIBLINGS
Susan Betty Robinson 1825-1877 
Elizabeth Robinson 1826-1932
 (who was my 2nd great grandmother).


WIFE
Zilpha Burton 1811-1893

CHILDREN of William and Zilpha
Elizabeth Betty 1932-1914
Barbara             1834-1914
Mary                  1835-1894
James Dildine    1837-1924
Sarah                  1846-1924
Susan                  1948-1920
Margaret "Maggie"1851-1881



    William Robinson (1810 - 1855)
my 2nd great grand uncle
father of William Robinson
daughter of John William Robinson
daughter of Elizabeth Robinson
son of Louisiana Ann Gracy
son of William Luther Allison
 daughter of Ernest Haywood Allison 



…AND NOW

Well, it's a new day.  I have been given the 'run around' - 'let me see what I can do' - 'I'll get back with you'…and I just can't take it any more.  With the new 'tower' built so close to William's grave, I know that now is the time to do something. 
Will the powers in the State of Tennessee help? 
Will they get in touch me with?
Will they answer my emails, phone calls?
There are laws … just not sure who needs to do what.
But, one person can make a difference.  That's really all it takes.
William Robinson's gravesite must be preserved.  
This 'old' cemetery needs to be marked and treated with the respect it deserves.

If any of my relatives, or any non-relatives, are interested in helping with the preservation of this cemetery (even if only one grave remains) please get in 
touch with me at aburgess@tntech.edu or 931-303-3943.

I
WILL
    I WILL NOT GIVE UP
GIVE
                      GIVING UP IS NOT AN OPTION

With love as always ~ Anna Faye Allison-Burgess




Comments

  1. Beautifully written and what a treasure! I recently found out that there is a Madden cemetery in Cookeville. The area has been treated similarly and there is a 'tower' by it as well. I am very concerned for our cemeteries because if we don't take care of them, they will go the same way. Tomorrow is work day at Howard Cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a descendant of Elizabeth Robinson and John Simpson Gracy they are my 2nd great grandparents. Their son Hugh Gracy was the father of Jesse Gracy who was the father to Duane Gracy who was my father.
    I have always been interested in the Gracy family history and unfortunately my grandfather died before I was born. When I was a teenager my grandmother, Edith Yealock Gracy, told me what she remembered and the greatest being that they were from Tennessee which is where I knew to start and back in the 1980's the only information I had access to was my small hometown library which amazingly had census records for Dekalb County TN and the spark was lite. I'm in Texas where Hugh and Eliza Hughes Gracy moved to between 1891 and 1900.
    I enjoy reading your blog it's very interesting.
    Hope to chat soon
    Kim Gracy Browning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BORN IN CHICKACOEN

NINE SONS: The Tolar Brothers & The Civil War

THE ALLISON’S HOME CHURCH - LITTLE RIVER PRESBYTERIAN, ORANGE COUNTY, NC