ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER

THOMAS JONES JR
3RD GREAT GRAND UNCLE
(BROTHER TO MY 3RD GREAT GRANDMOTHER - Mary Jane Jones Gracey)

There is really nothing interesting or entertaining that I have 
to share about Thomas Jones Jr (other than he was my 
3rd Great Grandmother's brother). 

 But I thought it fascinating that he was 
Born on July 4 and died on December 25.  


Thomas Jones JR (July 4, 1811 - Dec. 25, 1895)
is your 3rd great grand uncle
father of Thomas Jones Jr
Mary Jane Jones (1804 - 1834) - MY 3RD GREAT GRANDMOTHER
daughter of Zachariah Jones
son of Mary Jane Jones
daughter of John Simpson Gracy
son of Louisiana Ann Gracy
son of William Luther Allison
Anna Faye Allison - BURGESS




Thomas was born in White County, Tennessee.  According to an old book in the Putnam County Tennessee Library titled
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN (about 45 pages), he is buried in the Jones Family Cemetery in White County, Tennessee.  
The book also contained the picture of Thomas.

I have not been able to find a 'Jones Family Cemetery, but I did find one document that said it was on the 'Old Griffin Farm' in White County, Tennessee.  

Then, one thing lead to another, and I happened upon information about Hutchings College (White County) which opened in 1887 to 1923

Is the cemetery in the vicinity of this college? I think so.
I plan to visit this area in a few days. 

As mentioned above, one thing always leads to another.
I had never even heard of Hutchings College!

About Hutchings College...

In a book published in 1905 - Notable Men of Tennessee:  Personal and genealogical, with Portraits, Vol. 1 - Judge John Allison, Editor (the is a free google ebook) it states that "Hutchings College is today one of the leading educational institutions in the state, having a department for young men, a department for young ladies, a man hall, etc., the building being worth several thousand dollars."



There are line drawings of the former Hutchings College and house of its founder in the Tennessee Tech University's Angelo and Jeanette Volpe Library.  The drawings, made by Betsy Fox, will be preserved in the TTU Library's archives.  The college, which opened in the early 20th century in the western White County community of Cassville (see map below), closed in 1923 but boarded between 75 and 125 students a year during its existence.

  

Mercy, did I ever mess this post up!
But I have a feeling it was meant for me to mess it up by finding the ebook and information about the college.  I feel quite certain that the grave site of Thomas Jones Jr. is in this area.
Could I be completely wrong about that?  Of course.  
It doesn't matter at all because I love being lead down
'a different road'… even if it appears that I have digressed. 
When in reality, I didn't digress at all - 
it was meant to be this way.


Comments

  1. Unbelievable. I had Louisiana in my files since she married Cart Allison and I had Zachariah in files from researching my other ggrandma Jones line. Did not realize this connection until now! Genealogy never fails to amaze.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BORN IN CHICKACOEN

NINE SONS: The Tolar Brothers & The Civil War

THE ALLISON’S HOME CHURCH - LITTLE RIVER PRESBYTERIAN, ORANGE COUNTY, NC